formerly Platten, lies on southern slope of the Krušné hory, nearly 8 km SW away from Chomutov, in the height 660 m above sea level. No detailed information about its first settlement is known. However, early times of its history are inseparable from the castle of Blatná, later rebuilt to the palace of the Order of the German knights.
It hasn´t in the meantime been found out when exactly Blatno became a property of the order. It seems to have been soon after the order had come to Chomutov, as documents from the late 13th century refer to building of the castle in Blatno. Also cellars of current local authority building situated on the foundation of the former commend. The four-wing castle was fortified, it had a tower and there were two big and three small cannons to defend it. Significance of the castle of Blatno – the commends – is backed up by the fact that a new title was established in this respect a commander of Blatno. He didn´t subject to the commend of Chomutov, only directly to the provincial commander.
First known more complete report comes, however, not earlier than from 1344. It reports on "Virius Bleystofer, commandator in Blatna". Soon afterwards forest workers and various craftsmen in service of castle began to settle around there. Until now it ihas been clear that the settlement had been founded according to plan on an ancient trading track from Saxony to Czechia. Near to commend the order built a church reported in 1384 as a parish one. There was also a cemetery beside it.
IN 1403 Albrecht z Dubé became a commander in Blatno. Present commander Albrecht z Doupova handed him on 15 July 1403 over above mentioned cannons, a pot of gunpowder, 15 pcs plumb, two helmets and 18 five dozens bullets.
Wenceslas IV. took away Blatno in 1404 from the order to settle debts and assigned it to Hynek of Kaufunk, a burgrave of Most.
We don´t know exactly how Blatno exercised Hussite wars. Refering to some indications it might have been captured by the Hussites in 1421, but it is not sure. Those days Blatno was governed by Vilém Zajíc of Hazenburka.
In 1437 it was Jakoubek of Vřesovice who gained Chomutov property together with Blatno into pledge followed for certain time by further lords in change who owned Chomutov as well. In 1460 the castle of Blatno is mentioned as already deserted.
In 1564 Václav of Lobkovice bought Blatno, his son sold it in 1587 to Bohuslav Jáchym, son of Bohuslav Felix of Lobkovice. The property had been held by the Lobkovic until 1594.
The Thirty Year´s War didn´t save either local region – e.g. the Sweden often penetrated into Bohemia through Hora of St. Sebastian or Kalek and Blatno. These invasions ravaged the whole mountaineous area to such an extent that there was hardly anyone alive in villages. Destruction was brought to an end in January 1640 by general Wrangel plundering Blatno so that remaining population died out in this year either of hunger or Black Death. Five years later Blatno was attacked by Swedish troops who burned the village and destroyed the palace.
New inhabitants, soldiers of colonel Morzin, who got married to the owner of Červený Hrádek, had first to clean the site and then rebuild all again. It is likely to have been difficult, but there were good buildings by 1654 and main living was provided by cattle breeding and sale of wood, as reported by a tax office.
The year 1771 was significant for Blatno. There was made a list and numbering of houses in Blatno and Jan Ignác Ehrenwerth took up a job as a district forest officer at the mansion house. He was a real forest specialist using his knowledge to full extent by rearrangement of the woods of Červený KOstelec. In 1773 he initialized opening the first forest school in Austro-Hungary. The school was placed in a hunting lodge and thanks to the owner´s support Ehrenwerth could fully develop his abilities even as a teacher.
In 1776 There was built a one-class school building in Blatno and in 1782 there was laid a foundation stone to the St. Michael church.
The beginning of 19th century was not advatageous for Blatno. In 1809 Blatno was occupied by a unit of Westphalian soldiers.
In 1838 there was built a new parish. It burned out 10 years later.
In 1864 the building of the old school was pulled down and a new one was built on the site – this building still stands there.
Population of Blatno have mostly been occupied with agriculture and cattle breeding. In the late 19th century there was already a post-office in Blatno – s.c. Reiffeisenhouse, a big and a small Municipal house for the poor and a health district for Blatno with 7 adjacent villages.
In 1905 there was put up a water main in Blatno and in 1922 Blatno was supplied with electricity from the power station of Kadaň.
Evacuation of the German population began in Blatno and Bečov on Sept. 25 1945. They went away to Louny area, where they worked in agriculture until August 1946 when they were resettled to Germany. Even after partly settled there lived only 186 inhabitants here in the village in1950.
In January 1951 the Council of Citizen´s national committee in Chomutov decided to integrate the villages Blatno, Bečov, Bernov, Gerštorf, Kvinov, Radenov into one village called Blatno. New Czech names of integrated villages were not officially established until1952. In 1954 there was attached Šerchov to Blatno and in 1956 also Hrádečná.
These days building a sewerage system and STP is underway in Blatno. The urbanistic engineering design the community counts with building of cottages and the Complete adaptation of the village. On the site of the former cemetery there will be erected e.g. a memorial.
Zdena Binterová - Od Kalku po Bolebo